Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Girls with Glasses



I've worn glasses since the third grade. Naturally it helped kids ridicule the heck out of me. Now glasses are the cool thing to wear. Go figure!

Today I have a list of beauty tips and tricks I've learned over the years that I hope will help you in your make up application.



Forgo the contacts and let's get started!

-Beware of gray shades and cooler shades in general.  They can cast shadows causing
an awful 'zombie' look and downplay your eyes. Stick with warmer shades to help open up your eyes and avoid looking like you haven't slept in a week.

- You can always keep it simple - a few coats of mascara, concealer under your eyes, and a punch of bright lipstick is a great way to emphasize one feature and but still keep your eyes looking gorgeous.

-Groom and shape your eyebrows! Naturally, glasses draw attention to your eyes, so keep
your eyebrows shaped. Start by plucking any stray hairs, then apply a cream shadow or brow liner and blend it in with a brush to avoid looking like you painted on your eyebrows.

I love the E.L.F. brow kit and the N.Y.C brow kit. Both are very affordable ringing in at under $5, and easily accessible at any drugstore or super-store.


-Glasses can make your eyes appear smaller than they truly are. Reflection from the lenses is the culprit.
To combat this, define your eyes with liner on the top lashline. Gauge thickness by the thickness of your frames - a thicker frame calls for a thicker line. A smaller frame, or frameless glasses call for a softer, more subtle line. You can still rock the liquid eyeliner, just pay attention to the thickness of your frames to look the most polished.

-Add a light colored eyeshadow or liner to the innermost corner of your eye. This will widen your peepers
and help fight the reflection that glasses cause. I like to use any white eyeliner I have on hand, which is generally this Wet n Wild.




-Avoid super shimmery eye shadows. The glitter catches light and will reflect more in your lenses taking away from your face and magnifying any flaws in your application, or eye area in general. I've been able to use the Maybelline color tattoos with no issues because they aren't necessarily packed with glitter, although they do have a bit of shimmer to them. I use barely branded every day and it has yet to cause any issues.  The shadows that generally give me problems are the ones with massive fallout in the first place.

-Pay extra attention to mascara. Mascara is great for helping your eyes stand out behind frames, but make sure it's dried completely before you put on your glasses. Nothing looks worse than a few black lash marks on your lenses! I can't tell you how many times that happened to me in junior high.

Those are a few things I've learned over the years, I hope they helped. If you have any tips yourself, feel free to comment! I'd love to learn a new thing or two!

No comments: